I have long thought of myself as a blogger, so I enjoy Medium for several reasons.
- There is a built in audience of readers and you can tag your pieces so that the right audience will see it.
- There are so many writers and subjects and topics that you can read about anything you want and learn something new every day.
- It is easy to find new writers to follow.
- It’s easy to show other writers you appreciate their content with claps and responses.
- Medium tracks all stats for your articles, like how many views, reads, claps, and responses you get over time.
- I enjoy writing short-form content.
- I like having an outlet where I can write literally wherever I want.
- It is free and the user interface is easy to navigate.
- Medium recently introduced a paid partnership program where you can earn money from your articles. I have already benefited from this.
I only recently started using Quora, and I have found it to be intriguing and nothing like Medium.
- It is not really a blogging platform at all, though there are often blog-length answers and you CAN connect your blog to your profile.
- Anyone can ask anything, meaning there will be incredibly interesting and thought provoking questions alongside stupid questions that answer themselves.
- It is free and easy to get started
- It’s somewhat addicting once you start answering questions!
- You have the opportunity to answer questions on topics like the city you live in, the college you went to, and the book genre you enjoy reading; not just questions about your area of expertise. My Medium blog focuses more on freelancing, writing, entrepreneurship, and books than on anything else.
- Several times Quora questions have made me think about topics in a new or different way, which have then become blog posts on my own Medium blog.
Quora often feels more disjointed than Medium and both are a great way to show your expertise in different areas. I like that on Quora you can pose your own question and get so many expert responses from people all over the world. I like that on Medium, it’s just the platform and my blog is MY blog.
What do you think? Do you prefer one over the other? Both? Tell me why!