Books can change your life. Books can also just be for fun.
In my work, I am reading nonfiction works all the time, whether I am helping people outline them, write them, edit them, or working with them to get published.
So, in my free time, I prefer to read for fun, pleasure, thrills, escape, and entertainment, and less for education. I also tend to read mostly sci-fi and YA dystopian lately.
I have Kindle Unlimited, so I get access to a bunch of books and authors I’d likely never have heard of without KU. But I also definitely pay for books I am excited about.
Here are my top 5 Kindle Unlimited authors, 5 books I’ve paid for this year, and 5 books I’ve edited this year.
5 authors I’ve found and loved through KU:
- The Crimson Worlds series and spinoffs by KU author Jay Allan (9 books + 2 spinoffs).
- Omega Force series by Joshua Dalzelle (currently 11 books).
- Slaver Wars/Galactic Empire Wars/Originator Wars/Lost Fleet — anything by Raymond L. Weil (probably 20+ books).
- The Lost Starship series (11 books) & other series by Vaughn Hepper.
- The War Eternal series (7 books) & other series by M.R. Forbes.
5 Books/Series I Paid For & Loved in 2019
- Redemption and A Minute to Midnight (2019 releases from my favorite author) by David Baldacci.
- The Sirantha Jax series (sci-fi) and Razorland series (YA dystopian) by Ann Aguirre.
- The Testaments by Margaret E. Atwood.
- Old Man’s War by John Scalzi.
- Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown.
5 Writers I Found Through Medium & Really Enjoyed Reading in 2019
5 Books I Edited This Year (All Nonfiction)
- A book about emotional and ambition quotients and using it in the workplace both as an employee and as a manager, identifying ambitious people and traits and how to manage and cultivate those traits.
- A book called Holocaust’s Child, the stories of 10 Holocaust survivors who were babies/children during that time.
- A cookbook that was a deep dive into dairy-free nutrition, allergies, and recipes.
- A collaborative book all about entrepreneurship and leadership and building a business while staying true to yourself and your values.
- A book all about the enneagram and personality types. Incredibly interesting and I’d never previously heard of enneagram!
Do you use Kindle Unlimited? Have you found any awesome new authors or books that you fell in love with this year? Who are your top medium writers? Share with the class!
Check out my brand new book Concept to Conclusion: How to Write a Book and learn everything you need to know to conceive of, outline, write, publish, and market a book!
Sign up for my mailing list for writing and freelancing news and information.